Saturday, March 6, 2010

Orange Juicing for the Family

We made lots of orange juice this morning, using the Green Star juicer.  I had been using my little Cuisinart food pro with the citrus press attachment.  We were in danger of burning out the motor, trying to juice enough oranges for all of us.  There was more prep work with the Green Star, to be sure, but the actual juicing went much faster.  And the pulp was a lot drier!

We ended up with an assembly line, which greatly sped up the process.  Two people peeling, one segmenting, two young children feeding the pieces into the chute, and one person pushing the pieces down with the tamper.  I don't know how many oranges we juiced, but it was enough to satisfy the six of us.  I did have to clean the screen once, as I only have the fine screen meant more for veggie juices.
I think my oft neglected juicer is going to see a lot more action in days to come!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I found your new blog! I cannot BELIEVE how much fruit your family goes through in a day. That's so cool! It's inspiring, too. As was our walk and conversation this morning. Thanks so much! Wouldn't you know it--who should show up on the doorstep this afternoon but the girl scouts bringing the two boxes of cookies I ordered WEEKS ago (and forgot about). Luckily it's just two boxes, and by the looks of it, they'll be gone quickly. So, I fell a bit today. Who can blame me?! (I should have given one box away to the new neighbors. I wish I had thought of that before I had opened them both!) Good luck with your healthy diet. I admire your courage and motivation!

    ReplyDelete