Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Adrenaline Junkies

Last night my husband and I watched an exciting show.  It was late when we started, and later by the time we finished, about 11:45 pm.  And then I couldn't sleep.  It was after 1 am before I fell asleep.  The same thing happened last week.
What does this have to do with food?  Well, it's all about adrenaline.  Just like excitotoxins in food rev up your body, media does the same thing to your mind.  I stopped reading the news a few months ago, I don't go to movies much anymore, I don't listen to the same music I did even a few years ago, and I don't watch tv, since we cancelled our satellite service last July.  Now, when I do, I it affects me noticeably.
As my diet gets cleaner and more simple, I get a real jolt from things that used to be normal for me - processed foods, refined sugar, and hot, spicy foods.  When I abstain from those, I notice the subtle flavors of natural foods, and truly enjoy them!
The same is true with my leisure activities.  I love the subtleties of classical music.  I enjoy quiet.  I like reading happy things.  And I really enjoy spending hours talking deeply with husband, instead of watching TV with him.
Health is about a lot more than what we put in our mouth.

1 comment:

  1. mmm I love quiet. My favorite way to unwind is to lay on the floor (not a soft mattress or couch) and stretch out, and just BE! I enjoy going for runs because it exercises my body while my mind gets no stimulation at all. I refuse to listen to music or have a conversation while I exercise. That is my time to zone out and just BE!

    ReplyDelete